Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sexy Rexy

Is it just me or is it time for Rex Ryan to shut up. This guy just doesn't stop. His mouth runs more than Forrest Gump on meth. I get it, he wants to be known as a players coach, a NFL Ozzie Guillen if you will. But he is getting ridiculous, with his ranting and ravings about the Super Bowl, weight loss, and now Darrelle Revis, it has become too much. Hey fatty how about you shove a hoagie in that big pie hole of yours and do what you are paid to do, coach football.

Before we get to Revis, and believe me I have something to say about that, let me air out my grievances with Ryan.

First off he comes from a pedigree of jackasses, so it's not entirely his fault that his foot spends more time in his mouth than on the grass.



So before Ryan even took the field as an NFL coach, he started a war of words with players and coaches in the AFC East. He started off by dissing Bill Belichick, saying that he is not scared of the Patriots and not here to kiss Belichick's rings. That's all nice and good for the fans to hear; their new coach attacking the kings of the division. Maybe spark some fire under the Jets. Believe me, there isn't a bigger Belichick hater than me. His smug and arrogant persona makes my skin crawl. However, I do respect his ability to win, albeit questionable and unethical tactics might have been employed. Yet, Ryan, who never has coached a single game in the NFL as a head coach, does not have the right to disrespect a man with 3 Super Bowl rings. Just saying.

Next he goes after Channing Crowder of the Dolphins. Have you seen Crowder, he is a beast. Why does Ryan feel it necessary to start trouble, when he knows that he isn't the one that will need to back up his talk. Take a look at the clip below to see their war of words. Crowder has something funny to say about keeping it old school.



Next the Ron White look-a-like gets fined $50,000 for flipping off Dolphins' fans at an MMA fight. Really, dude. You're a grown man, and an NFL head coach, act like one. You never saw Bill Walsh or Don Shula flashing the bird, even Jimmy Johnson wasn't that starved for attention.

Ok Rex, so you took the Jets to the AFC Championship, ask your robust brotherhood member Andy Reid what trips to the conference championship get you. I remember a guy named Eric Mangini who had a pretty good first year in New York. It even earned him a role on the Sopranos, now look at him, he is wearing cement shoes and sinking to the bottom of the black abyss known as Cleveland. One season doesn't make a coach, buddy.

Look at this butterball, if I were a Jets fan I would question his commitment. I mean the guy couldn't even lose weight on his own. He had to have surgery because he was too lazy to exercise.

Then this season he begins by guarenteeing that his team is Soon-to-be-Champs. “I just know what’s going to happen. My crystal ball, I’m seeing a Super Bowl trophy in there. Now, I could be wrong, but that’s what I see. But every time I go to work, that’s what I look at.” I'd watch what I was predicting because it's gonna be tough to cover Randy Moss and Brandon Marshall twice this season without Revis out there.

So that was my rant on Ryan, and I know, I'll give in and watch his pampas ass on Hard Knocks, but I had to make my peace with the situation.

Ok, let's talk about Revis. The former Aliquippa and Pitt star, is arguably the best corner in the league. I say arguably, because some may still think that William Gay is better, and those people would have an obvious case.



So here you have the best player in the league at his position, asking for top dollar for that position. Currently he is still under his rookie contract and making only $1 million this year. So basically he is saying that he will sit out until he gets a new deal that will guarentee that he lives comfortably for the rest of his life.

At first, I have to admit that I was sort of against Revis. Normally I operate under the notion that if you have previously signed a deal, and there are still years left on that contract, you should be on the field earning every cent. But after hearing the way that Jets management has handled players in the past, I don't blame Revis for wanting to get his now.

After the season he had last year, one that vaulted him to the top of the corner rankings, and solidifying him as the best player on the team, I do feel he has outplayed his rookie deal. Then hearing that Leon Washington, a former Jets RB, now with Seattle, was due for a big raise during last season. Washington's people were in negotiations with the Jets, when Washington broke his leg and the deal was taken off the table. Then New York, not wanting to negotiate with an injured player, traded him to Seattle, where he does not have job security and never was able to cash in on a big pay day. Now he has to re-prove himself to a new team in order to make some bank.

Using that model as an example, it is wise for Revis to want his money now. He is one freak injury away from never being able to cash in on his abilities. One torn up knee or broken leg from never getting the money of a Nnamdi Asomugha or Champ Bailey. One injury is all it will take to go from Bruce Willis to Whatcha talkin' about Willis.

It's pretty clear that with Revis, the Jets are a very formidable team, with a shot at backing up Rex's verbal pukings. Without Revis to cover division foes, such as Moss and Marshall, it may be tough just making the playoffs. Revis is easily worth 3-4 extra wins for the Jets. The secondary will go from Revis Island to Gilligan's Island.

Now idiot Ryan wants to have Revis' people meet with Jets' brass at their training camp facility. He wants them to meet face-to-face and hash out their differences. Not going to happen.

Ryan said to reporters, "This is what I would like to have happen. Everybody put their cards on the table. Have Darrelle come here with anybody he wants. We'll have Mr. Johnson here. ... We'll call off practice. We'll have our whole team there to meet. That way, there's no he-said, she-said. Let's work it that way. Maybe that's how we'll get a solution. Everybody wants a solution. Let's figure out a way to do it."


Reportedly, the Jets offered Revis 10 years $120 million. Asomugha makes $16.5 million per season, so Revis is looking for a deal in upwards of 10 years $160 million.

Jets' owner Woody Johnson appears that his ego is big enough not be be strong armed by his best player, and he went on record saying he doesn't believe Revis will suit up for the team this year.

So I guess we will see if the Jets put their money where Rex Ryan's big fat mouth is.

No comments:

Post a Comment